Friday, 28 September 2012

A bit of cottage chic

 
 
 

 
A couple of weeks ago I was thinking about new products for my etsy shops.  I think just lately I have been swept away with the whole baby thing and knitting machines, and it was definately time I knuckled down and did some good old fashioned 'hard' work! I say 'hard' but its not truly hard in the sense of the word, because crafting always has remained a pleasure for me.
 
 
 
 
 
 


I decided it was time to go back to my roots, you know the old 'stick with what you know' theme, and I came up with this design.  Simply a panel of four granny squares set on a white background to make them really pop and a granny stripe boarder.  I haven't made anything homey in such a long time it really was a pleasure!!! The colours I've used are some of my absolute favourite, and I think they look really well combined together.  A bit of cottage oldie-worldy charm for your home <3 font="font">


The back is just simple stripey bands of colours :)  I actually really like this design too and might make some more like this.  A nice little pop of colour.  I like designing cushions that have different fronts and back, because I'm often changing the 'look' of my own home, and with these you kind of get two 'looks' for the price of one!



I tried to get a bit of a closer look at the buttons on the back of the cushion, they are ones I've had in my button stash so they're a bit mis-matched but I think the colours are really happy and complimnetary!

A nice little happy pop of granny chic for your home :)

The cushion cover is available to buy in my etsy shop now!
I think it would make a nice little gift for someone who's decorating a nursery for a baby girl, something a bit different to give at a baby shower!

It felt good to get back to my roots again and get a bit of crochet on the go.  I think that my crochet skills have far surpassed my knitting ones, even though I started knitting when I was just a little girl and crochet when I was a teenager.  My aunt taught me how to crochet, I used to go stay at her house sometimes at the weekend, we would have a chinese and she would show me how to crochet.  She could only do granny squares, but I was immediatley smitten! I've since self taught my self crochet.  I am left handed too so instead of working anti-clockwise, I just go clockwise or from left to right.  I don't really think it has made a difference to anything that I've produced so far, except that my stitches lean the opposite way :)
For anyone wanting to learn how to crochet, I would say give it a go, you can get a couple of hooks fairly cheaply nowadays, maybe start with a 4mm and something a bit larger so that you can see you stitches when you practise.  There are a host of tutorials all over the web, and videos on you tube that show you a variety of techniques for beginning chains and stitches etc.  I always found it easier to read charts often found in the japanese crochet books to begin with rather than written instructions, but again, that's probably more to do with my left handed-ness than anything else.

If you're in doubt about whether crochet is for you, why not check out some of the amazing things people have made over on pintrest or flickr, its not all granny squares you know!

Happy crocheting xxx

No comments: